* Handled hundreds of family law cases including divorce, child support/visitation,
paternity and adoption
* Presided as Judge over the Leon County Teen Court
* Covered instructional classes at Florida State University Law School
* Advised and Participated in a Discovery Channel’s show, with an investigation of a double homicide case
Assistant State Attorney: State Attorney’s Office (February 2000 – May 2002)
301 S Monroe Street, 4th floor, Tallahassee, FL 32399-2550.
* Responsible for general criminal prosecution of felony, misdemeanor, and juvenile delinquency cases
* Reviewed police reports and determined criminal charges for arrest and non-arrest criminal cases daily, secured additional information from law enforcement personnel when required, prepared felony cases for schedules trials
* Formulated trial strategy, determined sentence sought, conducted plea negotiations, investigated case data and researched applicable case law
* Secured and interviewed witnesses for trial, assembled case files, attended pre-trial hearings and filed or responded to pre-trial motions
* Communicated information on case status to all involved parties such as defense attorneys, police officials and victims
Reserve Deputy Sheriff: Leon County Sheriff’s Department (December 2001– May 2002)
Leon County Florida.
* Enforced the laws of Florida, city and county ordinances, and investigated crimes. * Served civil process.
Assistant Public Defender: Office of the Public Defender (August 1998 – January 2000)
1A 9th Avenue, Shalimar, Florida 32579.
* Assumed personal responsibility for assisting indigent individuals charged with misdemeanors, juvenile cases and felonies such as criminal sexual assaults, armed robberies and homicides
* Provided effective representation to clients who were frequently illiterate, not very well educated and sometimes even uncooperative while managing large caseloads
* Investigated alleged crime or offense by meeting with witnesses, police officers and reviewing the facts. Met with the client to discuss the appropriate action to be taken and whether pre-trial motions should be filed.
* Handled arraignment court and bond court. * Met with clients when arrested and obtained their history to make bond arguments to the court. * Maintained working relationships with clients in person, by phone and by mail contact.
Chief of Police: City of Mary Esther (January 1990 – May 1995)
Mary Esther, FL.
* Supervised and directed activities of the Police Department for the City and for surrounding areas in certain mutual aid circumstances.
* Responsibilities included strategic planning for use of resources, coordinating the activities of the department with those of other local departments and ensuring that services provided and development plans are of the highest quality.
* Developed and directed the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the department; prepared and administered the department’s budget
* Planned,organized, administered, reviewed and evaluated the work of sworn and non-sworn staff through subordinate levels of supervision
* Supervised City police functions including community-oriented policing, patrol, crime prevention, investigation, traffic enforcement, school services, dispatch and records, this also included working with the local military base and areas of commerce for emergency management methods, including Homeland Security issues
* Maintained and directed the maintenance, security and assessment of department facilities, both secure and public areas
* Conferred with and represented the department and the City in meetings and hearings.
Honors: Oxford’s Who’s Who in Law Enforcement, 1992 Edition.
National Association of Chief’s of Police,Board Member.
Deputy Sheriff: Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Department (April 1984 – December 1989)
Okaloosa County, Florida.
* Deputy at19 years of age
* Enforced the laws of Florid, city and county ordinances, and investigate crimes
* Served civil process
* Received advanced training: FBI hostage negotiator, firearms instructor, Intoxilyzer 5000 operator, electronic restraint instructor, field training officer, FCIC/NCIC computer operator, advanced training in computer applications in criminal Justice, police radar operator, advanced training in narcotics identification and investigation and others
Nova Southeastern University, Sheperd Broad Law Center, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Juris Doctor May 1998, admitted to the Florida Bar September 22, 1998.
Activities: * Member, Student Bar Association, West Bar Review Representative.
Troy State University, Troy, Alabama
Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice. June 1994 Honors: * Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society, President’s List, Dean’s List
Okaloosa Walton Community College, Niceville, Florida
Certified Police Radar Operator, Firearms Instructor, Certified Intoxillizer 5000 Operator, Certified F.B.I. Hostage Negotiator, Certified Electronic Restraint Instructor, Field Training Officer, FCIC/NCIC Computer Operator and numerous other police job related courses.
Pensacola Jr. College Police Academy, Pensacola, Florida 1984 Graduate.